Events of the past few days included:
- the twin's graduation from high school, with one twin hugging the principal and my overhearing this: "at my graduation my mother was dressed in white vinyl go-go boots and a camoflauge jacket." I'm thinking that belongs in a fic somewhere.
- playing a version of Monopoly that introduced "economic stimulus" and "great aunt" payouts to the game. Turns out that the government is more generous than the great aunt--they paid $500 while she only handed out one-tenth that amount. I was also guilty of driving up prices at auction and bidding low to buy property in private deals. Since we all acknowledged what evils of the marketplace I was exhibiting in making others spend more than they needed, I think it was educational. At least I didn't make anyone cry.
- I took the kids (most of them) to see Shrek Forever After and may I say that 3D is just not all that? Otherwise, it may not have been quite to the standard set by the previous 3 films, it was enjoyable nonetheless.</i>
- Last night, I introduced them to Helen Reddy & her song 'I Am Woman', Bill Cosby's 'Chicken Heart', Nancy Sinatra's Boots, the Playing For Change videos/songs and flash mobs. We're all agreed that if we ran into a flash mob, we'd try to join in (and get pictures).
Our outing also included listening to the soundtrack cds from Glee (vols. 1 & 2), and seat-dancing in the car. We were rolling and rocking.
We stopped at the "DQ (Dairy Queen)" for ice cream after the movie, and I got to meet a couple of the twins's friends. One of whom is the ex-gf of my niece.
then it was off to Barnes & Noble for books. Years ago I went by the handle "BookPusher" and still indulge in that activity. It pleased me to see everyone so eager for more books. My sisters have raised 'em right.
So why the current subject line? While we were all seat-dancing in the car on our outing, I was told that a friend had said "Your aunt is cool". I'm thinking that if it gets passed back to me, then she (they?) must think I'm doing okay as an aunt. I sure hope so.
Thanks for listening.
* shesgottaread:the next generation, in case I was too obsure with my Star Trek reference. :-D